I wish I had a buck for every time that I describe something as”airy and light.” I really like a light and airy space. A space is loved by Many people. They commission designers to create airy and light from plump and dark. A huge proportion of airy, light and this moment is your objective. But sometimes it is great to embrace the dark side. Dark and moody that’s. Darkness gets a bad rap; it doesn’t equal sad, dour or down in the dumps, like you may think. All these 9 dark-walled rooms every create a unique mood — test them out and determine if any of these suit you.
Digs Design Company
1. Well rested and cheerful. “The blues” provides the color blue a bad reputation. In this inviting bedroom sitting area, blue creates a wonderful environment in which to transition out of sleep mode to being prepared to fit with the day. Conversely, it is a fantastic location for enjoying the last embers from the fireplace and getting tired with a fantastic book at nighttime.
Wall paint: Van Deusen Blue, Benjamin Moore
City Homes Design and Build, LLC
2. Businesslike. You will settle in like a boss as soon as your room is ensconced in crisp navy. Dark blue represents knowledge, power and ethics, everything you will want to bring to your work.
Wall paint: Hale Navy, Benjamin Moore
3. Spectacular. Dark paint round the fireplace provides it a serious presence in this San Francisco living room. The fireplace is the main focal point and the bay window complements rather than competes. This chamber inspires settling in for dialog with a newly swizzled cocktail from the well-placed pub.
Wall paint: Blackberry, Benjamin Moore (discontinued; the designer, Eche Martinez, recommends Old Navy since the closest available match)
Lindsay Pennington Inc..
4. Dreamy. This deep bluish-green-gray color is not just calm and inspirational, but it mitigates the complications of all of the angles in the room. The bedroom arouses a fantastic night’s rest and pleasant dreams.
Wall paint: Crisp Romaine, Benjamin Moore (eggshell finish)
See the rest of this bedroom
Design Line Construction, Inc..
5. Pensive. Books, collections and just a bust of a particular person who was certainly erudite inspire learning and contemplation, even though a playful zebra print and array of textures stop the space from being a snooze. Just thinking about studying in this room makes me feel smarter.
Wall and bookcase finish: custom black blot with brownish tones blended in
6. Commanding. Showstopping antique pedestal sinks stand out from this bathroom’s deep blue walls. This setup arouses a close and clean shave, impeccable makeup and confidence-building affirmations while looking in the mirror.
Wall paint: Hague Blue, Farrow & Ball
7. Beautiful, calm and collected. Dark partitions, pleasing symmetry and soft light place the focus on the stunning marble fireplace surround in this living room. It looks like a wonderful place for unwinding after work and settling into life at home.
Wall paint: Dark 2132-10, Benjamin Moore
8. Glamorous. This chamber is all about luxe, dark textures and turning the lights for some film viewing. All that is missing: some Zsa Zsa Gabor–style feathered kitten-heel slippers.
Wall covering: Luxe Flannel LF961 in Navy, Innovations
9. Romantic. Dark walls maintain that the nighttime ambience inside this bedroom, setting the scene for a red-wine nightcap with someone who you love.
Wall paint: Beluga, Behr
More in the Color section: Guides to decorating with black
See all the color guides