Homeowners Insurance Limits

Homeowners insurance is vital protection: It offers liability protection if someone has an accident on your property and sues you, in addition to hazard insurance to repair your home and personal property if they are damaged. Your coverage is not a blank check, however; there are limits to just how much your insurance company will cover, and limits to what the policy covers.


HO-3, which offers protection against 16 named perils, is your standard homeowners policy and the one that you’re most likely to have, the Insure site states. In case you’ve got one of those elderly, HO-1 and HO-2 policies, you won’t have exactly the exact same amount of security. The Federal Citizen Information Center recommends checking and upgrading to HO-3 if this is the case.


The conventional HO-3 pays court costs and medical bills if anyone sues you over an crash. It also protects your house and its contents from damage from a list of sources including theft, vandalism, fire, lava, smoke, lightning, wind, falling objects and damage from aircraft or vehicles. Most policies do not protect against flooding, earthquakes or forest fires, and you’ll need a rider or another policy if you believe those might be a serious threat.


If you take a $150,000 replacement-value policy, then the FCIC states, that will pay for the cost of rebuilding your house up to the coverage limit. In case you’ve got a cash-value coverage, then that is only going to cover the initial price of your residence or your roofing, which is then depreciated for the years it has been in place. Most policies will monitor inflation–as the price of construction materials rises, so will the limitation –but you may like a guaranteed replacement or extended-replacement coverage, which pays replacement costs even if they are above the policy limit.


If your house is damaged over 50 per cent, most communities will need you rebuild it to meet current building codes. In case you’ve got an older home constructed into an older standard, bringing it up to date will be more expensive than replacing it exactly as it was, and lots of policies won’t cover that. “Code compliance” exemptions, according to the Macero and Associates law firm, specifically state that the coverage won’t cover to make the building better than it was, even if the law won’t allow you to rebuild it otherwise.


Your homeowners policy must provide some automatic coverage for the contents of your house–furniture, clothing, appliances–but there are limits to just how much your insurance company will cover on jewelry, artwork, collectibles or company gear if you’ve got a house office. If you need more coverage than the limit, cover to get a rider offering higher coverage for those items.

See related